Here in Southern IL, we had about 5 to 7 inches of snow and lots of ice. Schools have been closed, well public schools anyway, and roads are slippery. Right about now, cabin fever is setting in with my kids. I, on the other hand, is perfectly content NOT to be out in this winter mix. I guess I shouldn’t say cabin fever since we have been out and about all weekend, but they have been inside a lot and growing weary and bored of what they have. I know many families are in the same Igloo that we are in, so here are several ideas to keep your kids busy while they are snowed in:
3. Crumble up some paper and throw “snowballs” at each other or in a laundry basket.
3. Bake some yummy treats to hand out to others. Just this morning we left some in the mailbox for our mailman.
5. Watch Christmas movies with popcorn and treats
6. Get out the legos and time your kid’s to build something.
8. Get out paper, scissors, and glue and make Christmas Cards. Cut out pictures from magazines or old Christmas Cards and ribbon.
10. Make Christmas ornaments
11. Start making Christmas presents for loved ones.
12. Science Experiments. Here are fun 10 Christmas Experiments
13. Put on a play
14. Record your voice reading a book or interview someone. If you have a smart phone, this is easy to do with the voice recorder.
15. If you have a camcorder or again, your smart phone. Video your kids reading, or sending a diary to someone.
16. Play board games. Play by the rules, than make up your own
17. If you have fresh snow, make snow ice cream.
18. Bring in some snow in your tub or sink, and let your kids build a mini snowman
19. Practice Christmas songs and go caroling
20. Make paper chains
21. Make paper stockings
22. Make Paper gingerbread men out of brown lunch sacks
23. Wii or video game tournament
24. If you have hardwood or vinyl flooring, make a race track for your hot wheel cars.
25. Rock out with Christmas music
26. Have a fashion show
27. Build forts out of blankets and pillows and/or tables
28. Build igloos with toothpicks and marshmallows
29. Make a Marble Run
30. Start a family journal
31. Turn on an exercise movie and get moving together
32. Shovel snow for a neighbor or a shut in.
33. Come up with a family magazine or newspaper and send it out with your Christmas Cards. Fill it up with your family’s favorite memories of the past year, quotes, pictures they drew, and favorite recipes.
34. Make snowflakes out of coffee filters or paper
35. Write a book
36. Create a cook book with all your favorite recipes
37. Start a mural on a wall. Tape a long pieces of paper, or pieces of paper on a wall and start drawing. Leave colored pencils, crayons, or markers near by for all family members to take part
38. Write letters to family and friends
39. Wrap family gifts
40. Karaoke Night
What are some of your favorite snowed in family activities? Comment below and share!